I am now catching up with the course; I had to focus on a heavy workload before Easter. The article by professor Reeves is quite interesting, even if the vocabulary used is not always immediately accessible –especially for a non native speaker.
I have taught technological related subjects for more of my career, and I have met a lot of colleagues working in line with Paradigm 1: Analytic-Empirical-positivist-quantitative paradigm. It is an easy model to work with, and easy to adopt if you are from a scientific background.
Paradigm 2: Constructivist-Hermeneutic-Interpretivist-Qualitative Paradigm feels ‘extreme’ and I have the feeling would not help teaching or assessing a course if used on its own.
I have met in parts of Europe a lot of educators fitting the description of Paradigm 3: Critical Theory-Neomarxsist-Postmodern-Praxis Paradigm. They seem to be prevalent in educational establishments where underprivileged students are present. They do not work: they are on a mission!
The paradigm that I most relate to is Paradigm 4: Eclectic-Mixed Methods-Pragmatic Paradigm. I believe that this would be the most useful method to use in a fast changing environment:
- our courses seem to need changing more and more frequently
- our students come to us with changing general expectations and motivations.
No comments:
Post a Comment